Recipe for Berbere Spice
- 12 teaspoons of mild chili powder,
- 12 teaspoons of paprika,
- 2 teaspoons of freshly ground coriander seed (the freshness makes such a difference),
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom seeds (for extra sweet fragrance),
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek,
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger,
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice,
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg,
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves,
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes.
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 whole chicken (1.5 to 2kg)
- 10 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 50g butter
- 6 heaped teaspoons berbere spice mix
- 9 large brown onions (1.2 to 1.5kg)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- 1 inch of fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon concentrated tomato puree
- 2 large tomatoes
- salt as desired
- 6 eggs
- Cut the chicken into pieces, place into a bowl then squeeze the lemon juice over it. Allow the chicken to marinade in the lemon juice until ready to use. In the meantime, finely chop the onions, garlic and ginger, ideally in a food processor as you are dealing with a large quantity of onions. Add the onions into a thick based pan and cook gently for an hour until the onions have cooked and reduced into a sweet paste.
- Add the butter or oil. Add the berbere spice, followed by the ginger and garlic and fry until fragrant. More berbere spice can be added depending on how much heat is desired from the dish. I add about 6 tablespoons as I used a mild chilli powder.
- Add the tomato paste and fry for 2 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes followed by the chicken pieces into the pan. Simmer on a low heat for 40 minutes till the chicken is cooked. Halfway through, sprinkle the garam masala over the tshebi. Stir occasionally to avoid burning at the bottom of the pot. While this is simmering away, boil your eggs.
- After 40 minutes of simmering, shell the eggs and place them on top of the tshebi for presentation. Serve the tshebi on top of injera to enjoy it the traditional way. Alternatively, this can be enjoyed with a savoury pancake or flat bread of your choice.
Did you like this recipe? Follow me @myburntorange on Instagram for my latest recipe inspirations.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6