Rainbow food series – purple
Some much loved vegetables in Ghana are known locally as garden eggs. These are usually white to yellow and look just like, you guessed it… eggs! A popular way of preparing a dish with the egg plants as the main ingredient is to make a stew consisting of egg plants, okra, meat and the ever smoking palm oil. I decided to make a vegetarian version using just aubergines… painfully simple yet lusciously decadent.
2 tbsp each of palm oil and olive oil
1 red onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 inch of fresh ginger
3 fresh tomatoes
300 mls vegetable stock
1 scotch bonnet pepper
1. In a large pan, heat up the oil and fry the onions until golden brown.
2. Add the ginger and garlic, fry briefly, then add the tomatoes.
3. After about 3 to 5 minutes, add the aubergines, allow to fry and stir to coat them with the sauce.
4. Add the stock and allow to simmer. The scotch bonnet may be added chopped or whole at this time; adding it whole limits the amount of peppery heat in the dish, yet allows the flavour to infuse within the stew.
5. Allow the stew to simmer and reduce to a thick consistency.
In Ghana, this is very popularly served with a soured maize meal starch known as banku. I served mine on a bed of couscous.
afroblushJune 19, 2013 at 8:51 am
This looks delicious. Going to give it a try this weekend. LOVE AUBERGINE!
MyBurntOrangeJune 20, 2013 at 10:02 pm
Oooh! You must let me know how you like it 🙂
AdhisJune 23, 2013 at 1:10 am
I love that name “Garden eggs.” I feel like it should be the name of a book or something. Aubergine is such a great vegetable. Thanks for this
John KinyuaSeptember 11, 2013 at 12:04 pm
mmmh…………. looks appealing . I saw this competition that I think you would be just the right person for! It is about creating the national dish of your country. What would you say that is for Ghana?? Would be awesome if you could be the representative for your country 🙂 Here’s more info about it: http://www.slideshare.net/IngredientMatcher/competition-from-ingredient-matcher-cook-your-national-dish-25773568
Garden Egg (Eggplant) Stew | Sol i paparFebruary 2, 2014 at 8:10 am
[…] Orange, which is by a currently London-based, Botswana-raised Ghanaian! The following recipe is her vegetarian version of a typical Ghanaian stew made out of their local type of eggplant, which they call garden eggs. […]